Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Gospel According To Coco Chanel


I am reading the book, The Gospel According To Coco Chanel  Life Lessons From The World's Most Elegant Woman. The witty author is Karen Karbo. The chic, charming illustrations are by Chelsey McLaren.

I love this book. I haven't even finished reading it and I'm ready to post about it. It is clever, witty, entertaining and smart. There really are life lessons to be learned from Mademoiselle Chanel, some to do, some not to do.
The book covers the obvious; style, success, elegance. It also covers self invention, fearlessness, money, femininity, cultivating arch enemies and embracing the moment. There are lessons to be learned in all of these areas. 
On Fearlessness " The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud."
On Surviving Passion "Great loves too must be endured."
On Success  "Gentleness doesn't get the work done unless you happen to be a hen laying eggs."

Coco believed in becoming someone not something.
My favorite line in the book (so far) is: At the intersection of Art and Commerce sits Chic.
I strongly encourage you to read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment