Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Oscars Through The Decades

It's time for the Oscars, which for me is the Holy Grail of awards and award shows. I like to start early on Oscar day. I watch the earliest version of the red carpet arrivals. I probably see the janitorial staff show up, but it's the Oscars' janitorial staff. I also stay late watching the after the show interviews.  So I thought I would do a little Oscar through the decades. I started with the 30's and went through the 70's. I couldn't bring myself to deal with 80's fashion. The low glamour of the 70's was difficult enough. Here we go...
 The lovely Norma Shearer with her Oscar for The Divorcee.  I like the way she looks directly and confidently into the camera.
 Vivien Leigh with her Gone With The Wind statue. Stunning
 In 1940 winners were Ginger Rogers and James Stewart. It must feel great to win.
 Winners from 1947 included Daryl Zanuck, Loretta Young, Edmund Gwenn, Celeste Holm and Ronald Coleman.  If you haven't seen Ronald Coleman movies I highly suggest watching a few, or more. He is amazing. My favorite is Random Harvest.
 Now for the 50's, so many great photos from this decade and the fashion presented a perfect Oscar style. And, of course, Audrey Hepburn is lovely.
 Eddie Fisher and Elizabeth Taylor, their marriage didn't last but they looked good.
 Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward were a talented and gorgeous couple who also had a long and happy marriage.
 This is such a great photo of Frank Sinatra. I like it because it is so unposed. Other winners are Mercedes McCambridge and the charming Donna Reed.
 The 60's started off with this talented, stylish group, Peter Ustinov, Shirley Jones, Elizabeth Taylor and Burt Lancaster.
 If good looks were all it took to be happy, Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood would never have a problem.
 Julie Christie...perfect
 Another great group from the 60's Gregory Peck. Sophia Loren, Joan Crawford and ? If you know who that is let me know.
 And now the dressed down 70's. Winners Gene Hackman and Jane Fonda.
 The happy, stylish winners from Cuckoo's Nest.  Jack and his sunglassess, so cool.
 Liza Minnelli in another dressed down look. Great make up and hair.
By the late 70's people were getting dressed up again. 
You know what I'll be doing Sunday night. Are you a fan of the Oscars?

No comments:

Post a Comment